You can insure tiny houses with RV or manufactured home insurance, and some insurers will write policies specifically for tiny homes.



The type of coverage you need depends on your tiny house’s build — a fixed-foundation tiny house is going to need different coverage than a tiny house on wheels that you use to travel from one spot to the next.


  • Tiny house insurance protects homes 600 square feet or smaller from unexpected losses, like damage from lightning and vandalism.
  • If your tiny house is stationary and you finance it yourself or with a personal loan, you’re not legally required to insure it.
  • However, mobile tiny homes are subject to the same state insurance requirements as cars and RVs.


There are tons of tiny home insurance companies out there, but finding the right one for you is often easier said than done. For example, American Family has excellent endorsements, but it’s not available in every state. Liberty Mutual is a good option for rental tiny homes, but only if your property complies with local building codes. 

For any tiny house owner in the market for insurance, we recommend Strategic Insurance Agency. The company has deep expertise insuring tiny homes, and your home doesn’t need to be certified in order to get coverage. You can get access to all the most important coverages, plus add endorsements for more protection, whether you use your tiny house full-time, as a rental, or as a seasonal home.

Types of Insurance Options

Insurance for certified stationary tiny houses


Some insurers will only insure your tiny house if it’s certified by the National Organization of Alternative Housing (NOAH). If your tiny house was built by a NOAH-certified builder and you only move it a couple of times a year, your easiest insurance option would probably be a mobile and manufactured home policy. These policies are offered by most insurance companies and protect the structure of your tiny house, your personal belongings, and include liability protection.


Insurance for tiny houses that are certified recreational vehicles 


If your tiny house is on wheels and it’s certified by the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), you should first look into an RV policy.  RV insurance will cover your tiny house both when it’s parked and when it’s moving. Most major insurers offer RV policies, which include protection for the structure of your RV and liability coverages. It also includes coverage specific to auto insurance, like collision coverage and uninsured motorist protection.  


Insurance for DIY tiny houses


Most large home insurance carriers won’t insure tiny homes that aren’t certified by the RVIA or the NOAH, but there are a number of specialized tiny home insurers who will. Since your home isn’t certified, your insurer may want evidence that the build materials, wiring, and plumbing are up to code. To better assist your insurer during the inspection and make your home more insurable, it’s a good idea to take photos of the wiring as it’s being built.

Tiny home insurance isn’t a one-size-fits-all policy. The best tiny house insurance companies offer flexible policy options, endorsements for customization, and good customer service. Additionally, the best providers have excellent financial strength, which proves their ability to reimburse policyholders after a covered loss.  

The Best Tiny House Insurance in 2022


How much does tiny house insurance cost?

Tiny home insurer Darrell Grenz of Insure My Tiny Home in Portland, Oregon says insurance can cost around $600 a year. Meanwhile, MAC Insurance, a Portland-based company that insures tiny homes throughout the country, says it can cost as little as $400 or as much as $1,500 annually.


Is tiny house insurance required?

As long as your tiny house is stationary and you finance it yourself or with a personal loan, you’re not legally required to insure it. However, once your tiny house hits the road, it’s subject to the same state insurance requirements as cars and RVs. That means that depending on your state, you’ll likely need liability car insurance at the very least. If you plan on financing your tiny home with an RV loan, your RV lender may also require that you get insurance before letting you take out the loan. Your RV lender’s insurance requirement works like any mortgage lenders’ requirement for home insurance — once the loan is paid off, you’re no longer required to have insurance.

What do you do if you’re moving your tiny house?

In order to protect your property and belongings while you’re on the road, some companies offer a transit endorsement option that extends coverage to your tiny house while you’re moving between locations. Progressive offers Trip Collision coverage for a specific 30-day period while you’re moving your home. Trip collision coverage protects the structure of the property only, up to your policy’s limits, and not the contents inside.

Check with your insurer to see if your policy’s coverages are in effect at your destination. Some insurance companies won’t provide coverage in specific geographic regions due to risks like flooding or wildfires.


Sign In


Reset Password

Please enter your username or email address, you will receive a link to create a new password via email.