If your tiny home is built on wheels, a travel trailer insurance policy from Foremost will offer reliable coverage during transport. As an added bonus, you can upgrade to a policy that offers protection for your tiny house while it’s parked. A subsidiary of Farmers Insurance, Foremost sells both manufactured and mobile home insurance and RV insurance. Your tiny house must be certified by the NOAH or the RVIA to qualify for coverage. They also offer full-timers coverage for homeowners who live in their RV year round. 


  • Option to customize your policy with endorsements
  • Easy to file a claim online through the customer portal
  • Excellent financial strength with an ‘A’ rating from AM best


  • Can’t get an instant quote online
  • Website doesn’t include any information about coverage limits or deductibles

The Foremost Outdoors travel trailer insurance policy is our top pick for mobile tiny homes that travel across the country. This policy includes comprehensive coverage for your tiny home during transit, and you also have the option to get enhanced coverage for the times that your tiny home is parked at a campsite, RV park, or on private property. The Stationary Travel Trailer Insurance Program provides bodily injury liability, property damage liability, and medical payments coverage to supplement your RV insurance coverage.

Policies from Foremost include protection from a long list of covered perils, including collision, fire, flood, hail, windstorms, animals, theft, and even low-hanging branches. You also can add an endorsement for attached accessories, replacement cost coverage, emergency expense coverage, roadside assistance, vacation liability insurance, and full-timer coverage.

Foremost sells tiny home insurance coverage in 49 states (coverage isn’t available in Hawaii or Washington D.C.). However, certain coverages may not be available everywhere.

To get a quote from Foremost, you can request one online, but to receive customer support, you’ll need to call or email an agent. Before you purchase coverage, we recommend contacting the company to find out if your tiny house has to be certified in order to get coverage, and whether you can qualify for any policy bundling deals.


Foremost® offers the coverages you want for your Tiny House, such as:


  • Personal Property coverage
  • Diminishing Deductible
  • Full-Timer coverage
  • Additional Living Expense



Tiny Houses that are built to Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) standards or are National Organization for Alternative Housing (NOAH) certified/registered are eligible for the Foremost Travel Trailer program. Tiny Houses with built-in solar panels are acceptable, and producers can submit new units valued up to $150,000. Personal-use Tiny Houses built on a foundation may be eligible for the Foremost Dwelling Fire program!

Claims Service You Can Count On

Report a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week (including holidays) by phone or online. Foremost’s award-winning claim professionals are ready to help you whenever you need them!

American Family’s mobile home insurance policies include a variety of coverages designed to protect your stationary tiny home when it’s parked at a campsite or on private land. Plus, you can take advantage of discounts to get a lower premium. American Family will insure your tiny house with a mobile home insurance policy, but only if it meets certain requirements like having a permanent foundation. American Family also sells RV insurance if your tiny home is on wheels.

If your tiny house doesn’t qualify for standard coverage, American Modern may be the way to go. It’s one of the first insurance companies to actually specialize in mobile home insurance — offering all of the standard protections, as well as water damage coverage and mold and remediation protection up to $3,500.  


  • Build a personalized policy with endorsements
  • Generous discounts for policy savings
  • Great customer service with a variety of support options
  • AM Best financial strength rating of ‘A’


  • Doesn’t disclose policy coverage limits and deductible options online
  • Can’t get coverage in every state

If you need to insure a stationary tiny home built on a permanent foundation, American Family is your best choice. The company covers tiny homes with mobile home insurance and offers many of the same coverages you would find with regular homeowners insurance. Additionally, American Family offers great savings opportunities and 24/7 claims support from experienced agents. American Family’s mobile home insurance policies have the most important coverages for your stationary tiny home, like dwelling, personal property, and liability coverage, plus endorsements that fill gaps in your policy and provide tailored protection. Some of the endorsements available from American Family include matching siding coverage, other structures coverage, trip collision coverage, and hidden water damage coverage. You also can enroll in the diminishing deductible program to get $100 off your deductible for every year you remain claims-free.

We were impressed by American Family’s lineup of mobile home insurance discounts. There are savings for bundling your policies, installing certain smart home devices, insuring a new home, paying your premium in full, enrolling in autopay, and signing up for paper billing statements. To get a mobile home insurance quote from American Family, you can use the online calculator to get an instant rate estimate. Of all the providers we reviewed, American Family has the best customer service by far. You can call or email an agent, visit an agent in person, or use the online chat tool to get your questions answered. However, one of the biggest downsides of American Family is that the company doesn’t operate in every state, and some coverage options and discounts are only available in certain places. Additionally, the company doesn’t mention whether your tiny home needs to be certified in order to qualify for coverage.

The Hartford

If you’re in the process of building a DIY tiny house from scratch, a builder’s risk insurance policy from The Hartford will protect the structure, materials, and equipment while you finish the job, protecting you from potential financial loss.


  • Excellent customer service

  • Option to personalize your policy with add-ons

  • Offers coverage in all 50 states

  • A+ financial strength rating from AM Best


  • Doesn’t include information about coverage limits or deductibles online

  • Only way to contact the company is by phone

DIY tiny home builders need to purchase a special type of insurance called builder’s risk insurance while their tiny home is under construction. We recommend The Hartford for DIY tiny house insurance because it protects your project from potential setbacks, like weather-damaged materials, as well as equipment theft and vandalism.

The Hartford’s builder’s risk insurance policies cover a wide list of covered perils, including natural disasters, fire, explosions, hail, lightning, and more. It can help protect building materials, supplies, and equipment, both on the job site and during transport. You’ll also have the option to customize your policy with endorsements, like debris removal, ordinance/law coverage, expediting expense coverage, and property replacement coverage.

The Hartford offers builder’s risk insurance in all 50 states, but depending on where you live, your policy might be underwritten by one of The Hartford’s partner companies.  Note that coverage for builder’s risk insurance policies is approved only for a certain period of time, based on how long you expect the project to take. The Harford doesn’t include information online about policy periods, coverage limits, or certification requirements, so we recommend speaking with an agent before you purchase coverage to make sure The Hartford has adequate coverage for your DIY tiny house build. Policy bundling is available through The Hartford, but it’s not clear whether a builder’s risk policy would qualify. You can learn more and get a quote by contacting an agent by phone.

With good discounts, valuable online tools, and excellent customer service, Liberty Mutual is our top recommendation for rental property insurance for tiny homes.


  • Easy to get in touch with a customer service agent
  • Several discounts offered for premium savings
  • Use the online quote generator to get an instant rate
  • ‘A’ rating from AM Best for financial strength


  • Your tiny home may need to be certified and meet zoning laws
  • Doesn’t include information online about coverage limits or deductibles

Landlord insurance is a must-have if you have a tenant living in your tiny house full-time, and based on our research, Liberty Mutual is the best choice for rental property insurance. Liberty Mutual stands out for its top-notch customer service. You quickly can get in touch with an agent via phone, Meta, Twitter, or text message. Once you purchase a policy, it’s easy to make changes to your coverage through the online customer portal or mobile app. Liberty Mutual’s landlord insurance policies include dwelling, premises liability, and wind/hail insurance, as well as fair value protection that covers lost rent if your tiny home is unable to be rented due to a covered claim. You also can add inflation protection to your policy for an additional fee.

One of the standout features of Liberty Mutual is the discounts available. You can get a lower premium by bundling a landlord and home or auto insurance policy, being claims-free for at least five years, and getting a quote before your old landlord insurance policy expires. Liberty Mutual sells rental property insurance coverage in every state. However, keep in mind that in order to purchase this coverage, your tiny house likely will need to meet local building codes and zoning laws, as a regular rental home or apartment would. Additionally, we recommend speaking to an agent to find out if your tiny home has to be certified before you buy a policy.

Geico provides comprehensive coverage for tiny homes that are used as seasonal vacation spots, so you never have to worry about your home sitting unprotected while you’re away.


  • Easy to get a quote online
  • Optional coverages available for enhanced protection
  • Mobile home and RV insurance policies available
  • A++ financial strength rating from AM Best


  • No information online about coverage limits or deductibles
  • Doesn’t specify if your tiny house needs to be certified

Geico is one of the most reputable insurance providers on the market, and it’s a great choice if you need to insure a vacation tiny house that’s used seasonally. Geico has excellent financial strength, 24/7 customer service, nationwide coverage, and a few add-on policies for tailored protection. Because Geico offers mobile/manufactured home and RV insurance policies, you can insure a tiny house that is on wheels or on a foundation.

A mobile/manufactured home insurance policy from Geico includes standard coverage for perils like fire, falling objects, and explosions, as well as liability and medical payments coverage. You can upgrade your coverage with optional policies for sports equipment, which is ideal if you store skis, golf clubs, bikes, or other gear in your tiny house that’s used only during vacations. If your vacation tiny house is built on a travel trailer, an RV policy is a better option for you. Geico’s RV policies come with total loss replacement coverage, replacement cost coverage for personal items, emergency expense coverage, and an extra $10,000 in vacation liability coverage, which is automatically included if you have collision and comprehensive insurance.

When you purchase a policy from Geico, you’ll need to specify that you’re looking to insure a tiny house that is used only for part of the year. For that reason, we recommend calling an agent to get a quote and to inquire about certification requirements for your tiny home.

Geico doesn’t have many downsides, besides the fact that you won’t find information online about its coverage limits or deductible options. Fortunately, Geico has 24/7 customer service, including an online chat option that’s monitored during business hours.

State Farm also offers mobile home insurance and RV policies. Your tiny home will have to meet specific requirements to qualify for coverage.


Sign In


Reset Password

Please enter your username or email address, you will receive a link to create a new password via email.